MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF STATE
THE SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
SUBJECT: Continuation of U.S. Drug Interdiction Assistance to the Government of Colombia
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, and pursuant to the authority vested in me by section 1012 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1995, as amended (22 U.S.C. 2291-4), I hereby certify, with respect to Colombia, that: (1) interdiction of aircraft reasonably suspected to be primarily engaged in illicit drug trafficking in that country’s airspace is necessary, because of the extraordinary threat posed by illicit drug trafficking to the national security of that country; and (2) Colombia has appropriate procedures in place to protect against innocent loss of life in the air and on the ground in connection with such interdiction, which includes effective means to identify and warn an aircraft before the use of force is directed against the aircraft.
The Secretary of State is authorized and directed to publish this determination in the Federal Register and to notify the Congress of this determination.
DONALD J. TRUMP
- Statement of President Obama on the Death of Nigerian President Umaru Yar’Adua
- Photos from President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump’s Visit to Texas
- President Donald J. Trump Proclaims May 1, 2017, as Loyalty Day
- Remarks by President Trump on Combatting Drug Demand and the Opioid Crisis
- Remarks by First Lady Melania Trump on Combatting Drug Demand and the Opioid Crisis