On behalf of the American people, I offer my deepest condolences to the people of Germany and to the family and loved ones of former Chancellor Helmut Kohl. We were saddened to learn of his passing today in Ludwigshafen, his boyhood home.
The longest serving Chancellor in modern German history, Chancellor Kohl was a friend and ally to the United States as he led the Federal Republic of Germany through sixteen pivotal years. He was not only the father of German reunification, but also an advocate for Europe and the transatlantic relationship. The world has benefited from his vision and efforts. His legacy will live on.
- President Trump Speaking at Trump Tower (Infrastructure/Charlottesville) – August 15, 2017
- Statement from the Press Secretary in Honor of International Women’s Day
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Sanders En Route West Palm Beach, Florida
- Readout of the Vice President’s Meeting with the Presidents of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia
- Readout of the President’s Call with Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom