The United States calls upon all states and parties to respect Lebanon’s sovereignty, independence, and constitutional processes. In this sensitive time, the United States also rejects any efforts by militias within Lebanon or by any foreign forces to threaten Lebanon’s stability, undermine Lebanese government institutions, or use Lebanon as a base from which to threaten others in the region.
Prime Minister Sa’ad Hariri has been a trusted partner of the United States in strengthening Lebanese institutions, fighting terrorism, and protecting refugees. The United States firmly reiterates that the Lebanese Armed Forces and other Lebanese state security forces are the only legitimate security authorities in Lebanon.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, 12/12/2017, #40
- Statement of President Obama on the Death of Nigerian President Umaru Yar’Adua
- Remarks by President Trump on Combatting Drug Demand and the Opioid Crisis
- Remarks by First Lady Melania Trump on Combatting Drug Demand and the Opioid Crisis
- Readout of President Donald J. Trump’s May 25th Working Lunch with President Emmanuel Macron of France