Today, Nicolas Maduro requested a phone call with President Donald J. Trump. Since the start of this Administration, President Trump has asked that Maduro respect Venezuela’s constitution, hold free and fair elections, release political prisoners, cease all human rights violations, and stop oppressing Venezuela’s great people. The Maduro regime has refused to heed this call, which has been echoed around the region and the world. Instead Maduro has chosen the path of dictatorship.
The United States stands with the people of Venezuela in the face of their continued oppression by the Maduro regime. President Trump will gladly speak with the leader of Venezuela as soon as democracy is restored in that country.
- Remarks by President Trump on Combatting Drug Demand and the Opioid Crisis
- Press Briefing Call on the Vice President’s Trip to Latin America
- Statement by the Press Secretary on Venezuela
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders en route Washington, D.C., 8/23/2017
- Statement by the Press Secretary on New Financial Sanctions on Venezuela